A dental implant procedure is a modern solution to replace missing teeth. Can I get a dental implant years after extraction? The answer is yes. It doesn’t really matter for how long you’ve had your tooth extracted, the primary basis for a dental implant would be your bone density. If your bones are too weak, a bone graft might be recommended prior to the dental implant surgery. Go to https://toothimplantssydney.com.au if you have any concerns regarding implants and extraction.
Getting Dental Implants After Tooth Extraction
Technically, the only thing that would matter if you are planning to get a dental implant after a tooth extraction is if your bones are strong enough to hold the implants. The strength and density of the jawbone typically decline overtime after an extraction procedure.
If the jawbone is weak and ineffective, the dental implants won’t have anything to hold on to which might cause the restoration to fail.
But don’t worry as this will not completely disqualify you from getting a dental implant. Your dentist is probably going to suggest a bone graft procedure before your dental implant surgery to give you a strong foundation for the replacement of your missing teeth. Your dentist will likely use tools like the ones at https://www.dentalhandpiece.com.au/nsk-surgic-pro/ to perform your surgery.
Advantages Of A Dental Implant
Many people opt for a dental implant after tooth extraction because of its many advantages. These pros include the following:
- They don’t have limits. Compared to dentures and bridges, dental implants are the perfect restoration that can be fitted with crowns. You can also use a dental implant to replace a bridge, dentures, or several missing teeth.
- Comfortable. Unlike dentures, implants are directly planted into your jawbone to simulate the root of the tooth. It provides support and strength for the fake tooth that’s about to be implanted into your jaw. During the recovery period, the jawbone will gradually grow around the implants to hold them in place. This makes the implant feel more natural and comfortable.
- Improved speech. Our teeth play a vital role in many aspects, including speech and making sounds. Losing one or two can significantly affect your speech. Having dental implants will help you restore your speech skills and makes speaking easier.
- You can eat whatever you want. Because of their strength, dental implants allow you to eat anything you like. Something that you cannot do comfortably with dentures and other restorations. Once you lose a tooth, your ability to chew and bite certain foods gets highly affected as well. With dental implants, you can eat crunchy foods without worries.
- Implants look and feel natural. Dental implants are designed according to the shape and size of your jaw. This is the reason why they blend in easily with your natural teeth. The main purpose of a dental implant is to restore the looks of your teeth without causing any discomfort to its wearer.
- Builds up your confidence. Having a gap between your teeth can make you feel anxious. Some people tend to avoid conversations with others as they do not want to be seen toothless. Dental implants will help you regain your lost self-esteem and give you a bright smile to share with people.
- Improved oral health. A dental implant promotes oral health as it is directly planted into your jaw providing support to your healthy teeth. It also prevents misalignment due to tooth loss.
- Prevents bone loss. When we lose a tooth, our body eats up the bone where the missing tooth used to be. This results in a carved face, one that can usually be seen in elderlies. Dental implants prevent this from happening and retain the natural shape of the face.
- Low maintenance. Unlike other restorations, dental implants don’t need much maintenance. The only thing that you need to do is to practice proper oral care and regularly visiting your dentist for follow-up checkups. Professional dental cleaning also helps in maintaining the durability of your implants.
- They can last a lifetime. With proper care and hygiene, dental implants could last for the rest of your life. This is a great advantage that will save you money.
Risks and Complications
All dental procedures pose several risks and complications. According to dental specialists, an implant is a safe method with a 95% success rate. However, poor oral health and other things could result in the following complications:
- unprecedented reaction to the medication
- damages to healthy teeth
- sinus issues
- the jawbone isn’t growing around the implants causing failure
Things To Consider
Getting a dental implant requires time, effort, patience, and money. Before you decide whether or not you should get one, you might want to consider the following first:
Cost. The cost depends on the number of appointments that you have to attend before the procedure. But to give you an idea, a dental implant usually costs above $1000, excluding other expenses like doctors’ fees, clinic fees, and miscellaneous.
Process. The treatment will need several appointments before the procedure concludes. Be prepared to visit your dentist from time to time.
So if you are wondering ‘Can I get a dental implant years after extraction?’, your dentist will make sure that your jaw bone is in good condition before proceeding to a tooth implant placement.